Friday, February 22, 2013

Tuna Melt or Bruschetta?

Last night I made quite the treat for my family, I couldn't tell you what the name of this dish is because it obtains qualities of both a bold bruschetta, and a tasty tuna melt. I will let you decide:

Oh my gosh this was so.....incredibly...DELICIOUS. I can sincerely say that it melted in my mouth. I will admit, it was not one of my healthiest creations due to the the three cheese french bread I used as the base, but trust me, it was absolutely worth the splurge :)

Unfortunately, I ran out of tuna so only half of these delicacies had it, while the others resembled a typical bruschetta dish.




BOTH creations were packed with an intense flavor, I can vouch for that one because I sampled one of each :) Carbo-Load? I think so.

The inspiration for this dish, well, came from my own mother! She is the culprit of bringing home this wonderful french bread and a zesty Italian dipping oil to match.

The inspiration for this recipe, however, came from two dishes that I found on Pinterest. The one containing tuna came from thekitchn.com while the one without came from food.chatelaine.com/



Of course, I tweaked just a few of the ingredients on both dishes in order to call it a creation of my own!

Here is the list of ingredients I used for the tuna dish:
Ingredients:
*5-ounce can of White Albacore Tuna
*1 1/2 tablespoons of Hellman's Olive Oil Mayonnaise
*3 tablespoons of Shaved Aged Parmesan (1 tablespoon for each)
*Dash of Sea Salt/Ground Black Pepper
*1 tablespoon of Capers (chopped)
*1 tablespoon of Fresh Basil (chopped)
*3 Slices of French Bread (three cheese for an extra kick!)
*A swipe of Zesty Italian Dipping Oil (on top of each bread)
*Garlic Powder (as much as your heart desires)

Simply stir mayo, garlic powder, and capers in with the tuna and place on top of baguette, which should have already have a thin coating of the olive oil on its surface. Then top it with shaved Parmesan cheese, basil, sea salt, and pepper. Make sure the pan is sprayed with just a squirt of Vegetable Cooking Spray and broil for 4-5 minutes.

Fun Fact: Why use tuna? Not only does it have an incredible flavor but it contains a significant source of Omega-3 fatty acids which lowers the level of triglycerides in your blood (fats that clog your arteries!). In addition, it is a great source of protein and steers clear from ANY saturated fats.
Lesson of the day- EAT MORE TUNA.

In the original recipe, this dish called for home-made olive oil mayonnaise which sounded fantastic, however, I already had a jar of Hellman's in my refrigerator and with graduation approaching in the spring, I am trying to save every penny I can get my hands on for college!!! Can I get an Amen?!

Also, the chef of this original masterpiece used a hard-boiled egg in her recipe and I did not, however, I did add an extra splash of flavor with that zesty dipping oil!

The ingredients for the Bruschetta are quite simple:
Ingredients:
*3 thin slices of Fresh Swiss (one for each)
*3 tomato slices (again, one for each)
*1 tablespoon of Fresh Basil (chopped)
*Generous swipe of Zesty Italian Dipping Oil (on each)
*1 Tablespoon of Shaved Aged Parmesan 

The only thing I substituted was Bocconcini (mozzarella) balls for Swiss cheese, because I had a large amount of fresh Swiss in my fridge from the Amish country!



                                                                            Ta-Da!!

A special dinner for the family has been served :) Enjoy!

 


   


No comments:

Post a Comment