Sunday, February 17, 2013

Wake Up to Breakfast!

Rumor has it that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, well guess what? This could not be more true!!! Over the years, studies have shown that breakfast-eaters tend to weigh less than breakfast-skippers, that is, when the breakfasts' are healthy of course :) There is an endless number of benefits that a nutritious and well-balanced breakfast provides. For example, eating right when you wake up helps rev your metabolism, and can assist in regulating the quantity of food you consume throughout the rest of the day. Perhaps you have heard of ELMO.....Eat Less More Often? You do not need a pill for this folks, you can do this YOURSELF by doing your metabolism a HUGE favor by eating some calories in the morning! It doesn't have to be a huge meal, after all, something small is better than nothing at all. 

I personally LOVE breakfast. I try to go to bed hungry every night, just so I can wake up and start my day with a delicious, energy-packed meal! Today, I woke up starving because of the long and strenuous day I had yesterday- track meets are quite tiring! I was lacking my typical spunky mood, partly because my stomach felt empty, so I knew that I was in need of something more than just my usual bowl of oatmeal and a banana. So, I decided to whip up this quick dish:


It was FABULOUS and my hunger pains were instantly cured!:D
Result: SPUNK HAD RETURNED! YES!

All I did was toast a whole wheat sandwich thin (only 90 calories) which, might I add is only $1.99 for a pack of eight at Kroger, and spread just a dab (a teaspoon) of butter for flavor. Then I put an organic brown egg on the skillet for about 2 minutes, flipped it, and added a pinch of shredded mozzarella, minced onion, and curry powder to the top of the egg. I flipped it again in order for the egg to fully absorb the seasonings. After that side turned a nice golden brown, I flipped it over to the sandwich thin and added a tablespoon of Chi-Chi's mild salsa.

Fun Fact: Not only is Chi-Chi's salsa inexpensive but it also does not contain any high-fructose corn syrup like some salsas' do!! Hint: The less ingredients condiments such as ketchup and/or salsa have, the better it is for you! Do you really want to eat something that has an ingredient listed that starts with Synthetic, or contains something like, Partially Hydrogenated Oils? Like, ew.
Get real.


In addition to my egg over-easy sandwich, I added a side of Oikos vanilla, non-fat Greek yogurt! As much as I love plain ol' vanilla, I like to add as much flavor to a dish as possible, which is why I stirred in 1/2 tablespoon of honey and a pinch of cinnamon! Finally, I topped it with a handful of fresh, juicy strawberries.

So there you have it folks, a quick and easy breakfast that contains the perfect balance between carbohydrates and protein! What better way to start your day than with this nutrient packed dish?:)
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment