Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sensational Stir-Fry!

Sunday. What a wonderful day Sunday is :) It is the day of the week where I can just be. My routine is quite similar each Sunday; I relax at home, do homework at a leisurely pace, go for a short easy run, and, on an occasion, become one within myself through the ancient teachings of yoga :) It is the day of the week where peace overwhelms the atmosphere. I find it necessary and even enjoyable, to reflect on any accomplishments that were made during the week, even if it was something as minuscule as receiving an A on a quiz. You earned it, so why not celebrate your achievement? Everyone could use a little extra confidence, so take pride in any step you make towards success. And now with my latest addition to my Sunday routine, cooking nutritious Pinterst-inspired meals for my family, I have found my extra source of confidence.

Life is GOOD :)


Anyways, that is a sneak peak of my sporadic Buddha wisdom for all of you fellow readers out there....let us resume to the dish shall we?;)
Two weeks ago, one of my dear friends Anna asked me what I was planning on making for my blog that Sunday, and I had told her about my idea of giving the sweet potato skin recipe a whirl. She kindly responded, "Oh yum!! But you know what would be really good? STIR-FRY." And just like that, inspiration was BORN.



HAAAALLLLLELUJAHHHHH!!

I am quite the fan of Chinese food, but I always feel gross after I consume a plate of sesame or orange chicken with a side of lo mein noodles- it is one of those dishes where it feels good while eating it, but causes severe stomach cramps afterwards. Yeah, we have all been there. Soooo, I was eager to come upon this light and zesty Stiry-Fry dish on Pinterest!:)

Say, "Bye-Bye" to heavily doused oily veggies, and say hello to a light sensational flavor!


The inspiration for this heavenly dish came from jujugoodnews.com!



This recipe is killer on its own, but in order to claim it as one of my own creations I had to add a bit of a twist to this already fabulous recipe!





Here is what the recipe calls for:

    Sauce:                                                                      Stir-Fry
    -1/2 cup of orange juice                                -1 lb. chicken (cubed)
    - 2 tablespoons soy sauce                            -salt/pepper
    - 2 tablespoons rice vinegar                       -3 tablespoons corn starch
    -1 tablespoon oyster sauce                          -4 cups chopped veggies
    -1 tablespoon orange zest                            -olive oil
    -2 large garlic cloves                                     -1/2 cup yellow onion (chopped)
    -1 teaspoon minced ginger
    -optional sweetener: sugar, honey etc.

  
I made just a few tweaks to the recipe to better its nutritional value and to save a couple bucks along the way too- woohoo!
Instead of using both oyster and soy sauce, I raided my pantry and found teriyaki sauce which contains a significant source of soy sauce in it already! Conveniently, this bottle of teriyaki had 40% less sodium than its normal sauce- my heart will thank me for that one!:D I substituted the oyster and soy sauces for 3 tablespoons of teriyaki and it turned out great!

In addition, I substituted whole wheat flour for corn starch to eliminate those harmful GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) found in corn products! Also, a little extra fiber never hurt anyone either ;)

Finally, for my choice of veggies I threw in yellow squash, broccoli, mushroom, carrots (shaved 1 whole carrot), and bean sprouts.

The result: DELICIOSO! 

The directions are SO easy to follow. For the sauce, all you need to do is throw all of its ingredients into a blender and let them mix together for 10-15 seconds on a high speed.

Once it has the consistency of a puree, pour into a large skillet over medium heat and let it begin to bubble. Next throw in seasoned chicken (which should be already massaged with a coat of that whole wheat flour) and all of your veggies/olive oil! Keep on skillet till your veggies have a nice crunch :)

Once your Stir-Fry has reached perfection, pour it upon a bed of wild grain or brown rice. Your Chinese fix is complete :) Without all of that extra peanut oil and fried breading that makes your stomach feel grody!!!

There you have it folks, a Sensational Stir-Fry dish can be made in no time in the comfort of your own home! 












 








  
           



1 comment:

  1. Nice recipe. I will try it because I want to taste it. If this is the best, then I will cook this recipe once or twice a week. Thanks for sharing this here.

    stir fry recipe

    ReplyDelete